Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Fishin' Hole


One time, I was lost in the middle of nowhere looking for a pond where I heard the fish were so catchy, they’d all but jump in your boat.

I knew I was close, so I stopped at this little rundown store to ask for directions.

The girl at the counter looked bored.

“Beg your pardon,” I said, “but I’m looking for the fishin’ hole.”

“The fishin’ hole?” The girl was flustered. “Listen, I don’t know what you’ve heard, mister … but that was one fish … one time … and I was drunk as a skunk.”

Let me tell you, I wasn’t expecting that.  When I asked if she’d just point me in the right direction, she told me it’s right where I think it is and she wasn’t about to show me.

I tipped my hat and was on my way.  Tickled, but not the way I was looking to be.  Which was by a fish, nibbling on my worm.

Charming as I found the countryside to be, my rambling exploration of it (some folks … women folks mostly … call it being lost) seemed not to be bringing me any closer to catching anything but maybe hell for being such a dupe.  What if my hole was just another slippery ole fish story?

I confess to my conviction wavering a bit. 

Another rundown store approached so I decided to stop and inquire, figuring I had even less to lose than the little tart at the store I asked at before.

The boy at the counter looked bored.

“Beg your pardon,” I said, “but I’m looking for the fishin’ hole.”

“The fishin’ hole?” The boy was flustered. “Listen, I don’t know what you’ve heard, mister … but that was one fish … one time … and I was drunk as a skunk.”

I didn’t ask him to point me the way.


Never did find that fucking pond.

###

-Harlowe Pilgrim


Copyright 2017 Cock and Bull Publishing, LLC

Harlowe Pilgrim’s books are available at Amazon, iBooks,
Smashwords.com, Books-A-Million, and most other online booksellers.




No comments:

Post a Comment